The San Luis Obispo County YMCA has an opening for a substitute group fitness instructor for our ASD/REACH program.
POSITION SUMMARY: To work as part of a team to provide group fitness instruction to children, teens or adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in a group setting. Under the direction of the Fitness Coordinator and the COO. Depending on the age, goals and limitations of the member and/or participants, some individual instruction may be necessary. Provides instruction to members on the spectrum. Provide excellent service to members in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1. Leads group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals. 2. Conducts energizing, fun, safe, and educational classes. 3. Builds effective relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA. 4. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support. 5. Keeps accurate class attendance records. 6. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, and/or EXPERIENCE:
1. Associates degree at minimum in area(s) listed ; Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, Education , Special Education, Human Development, Sociology or related field preferred.
2. Minimum of 18 years of age.
3. Registered Behavioral Therapist (RBT).
4. At one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
5. Athletic/fitness experience.
6. At least six (6) months of experience working in a teaching, coaching or childcare position.
7. One (1) or more experience working in the behavioral field preferred.
8. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
9. Excellent organizational skills, initiative, and a proactive attitude.
10. Excellent verbal communication skills. Able to communicate effectively with YMCA staff, members of all ages, parents, school staff, community partners and volunteers.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Within the first 30 Days: CPR/FA/AED and Child Abuse Prevention training, Blood borne pathogens training as required. See above for position required certificates etc. Live scan clearance (upon hire) All certificates to remain valid during employment
To be considered for any open position, an application must be received. Please visit: sloymca.org