- Get Involved
- About The Y
The San Luis Obispo County YMCA is a dynamic $3.4 million association located on the beautiful Central Coast.
Full-time Staff: Exempt
Summary Job Description
The San Luis Obispo County YMCA is a dynamic $3.4 million association located on the beautiful Central Coast of California. We are looking for a cause-driven, motivated leader to join our executive team and help take the association to its next level. Our Y promotes a diverse and inclusive environment. We are seeking an enthusiastic team player who understands and values the impact that our Y makes on the communities of the Central Coast through healthy living, and social responsibility.
Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, The COO will Guide the operations and objectives of the Y and articulate and influence the importance of membership and program growth with a commitment of reaching financial and strategic goals. This position will be directly responsible for the oversight of risk management for the association and supervision of the lead operations directors of the San Luis Obispo County Y, and is accountable for the success of each operating unit including: program development, volunteer recruitment, staff supervision, community relations, collaborations, budgeting and financial results. Responsible for day-to-day operations of County-wide childcare programs, day camps, teen programs, youth sports, fitness and membership
• Bachelor's degree in Management, Business Administration, Non-Profit Management or related field and seven years or more experience in progressively successful professional management positions within the YMCA or related operations.
• Ability to analyze a problem, defines the issues, weigh alternatives and arrive at sound and firm decisions.
• Previous experience in staff supervision and development, Board and volunteer development, financial development, marketing, fiscal management, human resources, strategic planning, risk management, public relations, membership development and retention.
• Clear understanding of the relationship of the general public to the YMCA, of staff to volunteer, intra-staff actions and with persons of influence in the community.
• Proven success in managing budgets and fiscal resources.
• Strategic Vision and planning skills.
• Willingness to move on situations with reasonable speed, taking required actions without being prompted, urged or directed often at offsite locations.
• Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community; track record of building authentic, constructive relationships with others.
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Excellent computer skills; prior work with Daxko preferred.
• Proven leadership
• Highly organized, self-motivated and goal-oriented team player.
• Ensures the operational growth of the San Luis Obispo County YMCA through program expansion, staff and member recruitment and retention, pricing strategies, site development, and collaborations.
• Supervises preparation of the annual budget, monitors monthly financial budget reports to assure that revenue targets are met and expenses are controlled and year end positive net balance
• Strategizes with the CEO and other Senior Staff in executing the strategic plan of the Association and implementing goals and objectives as approved by the Board of Directors
• Oversees and coordinates risk management for the Y program within Y program, fitness and membership operations, implementing and monitoring practices and initiating new policies to protect members, staff and volunteers.
• Reviews operations of each department related to strategic goals, financial goals and program management, ensuring implementation of recommended changes for improvement.
• Maintains ongoing evaluation of current services and recommends changes and needs for new services.
• Directs and provides support to branches and programs to achieve and surpass agreed upon strategic goals. Provides operations expertise and information to the various board committees and the Board of Directors.
• Supervises lead membership, fitness and program directors.
• In partnership with HR Sr. Director, monitor training resources available to core staff and ensure development of trainers in areas for association.
• Creates a positive and collaborative climate under which new programs are developed, staff development is encouraged, and the goals of branch operations are achieved.
• Develops relationships with community leaders and promotes collaboration with other organizations as agreed upon with CEO. Interprets the YMCA and its mission to key stakeholders in the community.
• Collaborates with the finance, financial development, marketing, and human resources departments to ensure efficient and effective communications and procedure development within the Association.
• In collaboration with CEO prepare, put plans into action and evaluate association all staff meeting and retreats.
• Evaluate current systems and procedures for operations management addressing deficiencies when necessary and implementing new procedures where needed and agreed upon by CEO.
• Participates in the Y's Annual Support Campaign in support of key volunteers
• Implementation of special programs and initiatives.
Cause-Driven Leadership™ Competencies a plus:
Mission Advancement: Incorporates the Y's mission and values into the organization's vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the Y. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
Operational Effectiveness: Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
Personal Growth: Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Shares authority and demonstrates courage and humility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Live Scan clearance.
Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR/AED, and First Aid. (Certifications need to remain current during employment). Blood borne pathogens and other training's as required.
Child Abuse Prevention Training within 30 days of hire.
Great benefits including 7% retirement match (meeting eligibility)
Please submit cover letter, resume and application if interested in applying for this position. For more information and an application, please visit: sloymca.org Deadline for submitting: 10/26/18
COMPENSATION 85,000 - 100,000 ANNUALLY
Kids Fun Night
Shell Beach YMCA Recreational Youth Programs
Paso Robles YMCA Recreational Youth Programs: Centennial Park
Monarch Grove YMCA Recreational Youth Programs
Los Ranchos YMCA Recreational Youth Programs
Harloe YMCA Recreational Youth Programs
Grover Beach YMCA Programs
Fairgrove YMCA Programs
Baywood YMCA Recreational Youth Programs