- Support the Y
- About Us
Be a part of something bigger!
Part time 25-30 hours per week
$16.00 - $18.00 per hour
Free gym membership
Under the supervision of the Business Administration Coordinator, in cooperation with other YMCA staff, and consistent with the San Luis Obispo County YMCA’s mission, the Administrative Assistant will provide support to the overall administration of day-to-day business operations such as but not limited to program enrollment and set up, financial procedures, annual support campaign and other essential business functions.
1. Assist with processing member and program draft payments, vendor invoices, PEX card and credit card reconciliation, database invoicing and payment collection, and database deposit process (shift closeouts and bank deposits).
2. Assists with the distribution of all mail delivered to YMCA.
3. Supports credit and/or refund processing and member/program participant communication.
4. Assist with development and revision of enrollment forms in coordination with Business Administration Manager and/or Child Care or Sports Directors.
5. Collect program sign in sheets in a timely manner.
6. Provide excellent customer service, including correspondence with regard to enrollment and billing, written and verbal.
7. Implements all policies, goals and objectives, and procedures established by Board of Directors.
8. Communicate problems and concerns to supervisor and/or program directors.
9. Primary point of contact regarding program enrollment and change of enrollment forms for Child Care and Sports.
10. Distribute and Collect CAPSLO attendance records in a timely manner.
11. Control attendance of delinquent accounts, support all staff in complying with payment procedure guidelines for program participants.
12. Assist with the creation of all programs in DAXKO Operations.
13. Support Annual Campaign as necessary.
14. Primary point of contact for processing financial assistance for SLO & SC regions.
15. File office paperwork as needed.
16. Represents the YMCA at community events to promote the YMCA.
17. Support Supervisor with projects ad-hoc as requested.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Adheres to (and enforces) program standards including safety and cleanliness standards
• Follows WHO, CDC, and County Department of Health Standards, procedures and recommendations around health screening, cleaning, and sanitization
• Keep assigned areas neat, clean, organized, sanitized, and free of clutter
• May need to utilize remote working conditions/assignment, according to policy and approved agreement
• May require cross training and cross functioning of current position
• May need to utilize available resources to provide virtual experiences for members, participants, staff, and the community
• Document any accident/injury/incident on Incident Report Forms as appropriate
• Work with a positive and enthusiastic attitude
• Willing to collaborate with schools, community organizations, and citizens
• Flexible and willing to visit or attend functions at other Y sites when needed
• Use program resources efficiently and ecologically
• Participates in all association staff meetings and trainings as required
• Back up for Live Scan machine
• Other duties/projects as assigned by Business Administration Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, TALENTS, and ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, excel, managing files and records, transcription of meeting minutes, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology
• Basic knowledge and understanding of philanthropy, fundraising and donor relations
• Strong time management and project management skills
• Develop specific goals and plants to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work. Attention to detail, being careful about detail and through in completing work tasks. Must be an independent worker, and develop appropriate methods to ensure accurate, timely and appropriate communication in all work
• Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges; be honest and ethical; reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations; react calmly and effectively in high stress situations; maintaining composure, even in very difficult situations; be open to change and to a considerable variety in the workplace.
• Written and phone communication skills – ability to write clearly, using correct grammar, structure and spelling, and the ability to keep track of multiple ongoing communications and respond within twenty-four (24) hours, if not sooner.
• Knowledge of DAXKO or other fundraising database programs, general ledger, excel and the supporting software in the Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to quickly learn systems (such as DAXKO)
• A commitment to the goals and philosophy of the YMCA
• Youth -- Experience with youth, their needs, and development strategies. Desire to have a meaningful effect on and build assets in the lives of attendees. Direct experience working with children in an active recreational and developmental atmosphere.
• Development -- Willingness to participate in opportunities that serve to develop staff in the area of youth development. Desire to work with and supervise young people in a setting that provides them with a variety of choices.
• Member and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing professional member and personal services. This includes internal and external customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of member satisfaction. Great customer service attitude.
• Communication — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. Ability to provide clear & useful information in a gracious, respectful, and helpful manner to the public, vendors, members, supervisors, and co-workers, in written form, via e-mail, and in person.
• Coordination — Understanding the relationship of all positions to each other, and their impact on the culture and meeting the organization’s goals. Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions, i.e., team work.
• Commitment -- A commitment to the goals and philosophy of the YMCA.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge
and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, and/or EXPERIENCE:
1. Must be at least 21 years of age
2. 2 Years or more of related experience preferred.
3. Previous experience in the following, alone or together preferred: administrative, accounting, fund development, back-office administration, and project management.
4. Bi-lingual (Spanish) preferred.
5. Previous experience in customer service preferred.
6. Excellent administrative and computer skills, Excel and experience with standard business software.
7. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
8. Prefer knowledge of and previous experience with diverse populations.
9. Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
10. Y Team Leader or Multi-Team/Branch Leader certification preferred.
11. Excellent organizational skills, initiative, and a proactive and strong work ethic.
12. Excellent verbal communication skills. Able to communicate effectively with YMCA staff, youth, parent(s), school staff, community partners, Board Members, and volunteers.
13. Must be able to drive own vehicle, valid insurance/Driver’s License, and clear driving record. Remain insurable during employment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR/AED, and First Aid and Child Abuse Prevention training.
Blood borne pathogens and concussion training as required.
Clear live scan (fingerprints) report.
Certifications need to remain current during employment.
Valid insurance/Driver’s License, and clear driving record.
Must remain insurable during employment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Must be able to remain stationary or move for extended periods of time. Must be able to consistently operate a computer, phone or tablet. Must be able to detect and recognize safety and risk management opportunities, program quality issues and participant concerns.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to work in a quiet as well as moderately noisy work environment. Must be able to cope and function within stressful circumstances. Must be able to work within deadlines. No other particular exposure to difficult environmental conditions. May work in windy, wet or sunny/hot weather conditions.
The San Luis Obispo County YMCA is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national origin, disability, sex, marital status, age, or any other protected status covered by federal or state law.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change