- Get Involved
- About The Y
SLO COUNTY YMCA JOB POSTING
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
FLSA Status: Full time with benefits, Exempt – May be willing to consider Part Time
Reports to: CEO
Date: January 2020- Posting expires 2/29/2020
Compensation: Competitive, Depending on Experience
If you want to make a difference in the community, the Y is an excellent place to match your skills and talents to develop and use in a special way. An equal opportunity employer, the San Luis Obispo County YMCA is a place to build a rewarding career and an enriched life.
ABOUT SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY: With historic missions and a bustling college town, the San Luis Obispo region includes irresistible beach communities and an international reputation for winemaking. With over 16 different cities and towns, each destination has its own appeal—from the vintage Main Street-style downtown of Arroyo Grande to the classic California beach town of Pismo Beach, and the legendary Hearst Castle near San Simeon. Quaint Cambria is set among its namesake pines, while tiny Harmony is a onetime dairy community that’s now home to artists.
Blessed with numerous state parks and beaches, this is a region for escapes into nature, including kayaking in Morro Bay and hiking the coastal bluffs north of Cayucos or the inland hills of San Luis Obispo or Atascadero. With car-sized elephant seals (the world’s largest) on the beaches north of San Simeon and creative wine-country cuisine in Paso Robles’ historic downtown, there’s no end to the discoveries awaiting you in the San Luis Obispo Region.
Under the supervision of the, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, and consistent with the San Luis Obispo County YMCA’s mission, the Director of Human Resources is responsible for all aspects of human resources for the association. The Director of Human Resources supports the wellbeing of Y staff and focuses on compliance of all state and federal mandates as well as develops, plans, and implements new procedures and methods to achieve strategic goals, and pursues and develops community relationships on behalf of the Y.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS HUMAN RESOURCES:
1. Oversees the implementation of Human Resources programs and strategies. Identifies opportunities for improvement and resolves any discrepancies.
2. Develops and monitors an annual budget that includes Human Resources services, workers compensation, employee recognition, and health and wellness benefits.
3. Collaborates with Human Resources consultants, attorneys, and training specialists, and coordinates company use of insurance brokers, insurance carriers, pension administrators, and other outside sources.
4. Conducts a continuing study of all Human Resources policies, programs, and labor law to keep management informed of new developments.
5. Defines all Human Resources training programs, and assigns the authority/responsibility of Human Resources and managers within those programs. Provides necessary education and materials to managers and employees including workshops, manuals, employee handbooks, and standardized reports.
6. Establishes an in-house employee training system that addresses company training needs including training needs assessment, new employee orientation or onboarding, management development, production cross-training, the measurement of training impact, and training transfer.
7. Establishes and leads the standard recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit and hire a superior workforce.
8. Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
9. Conducts investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth.
10. Monitors and advises managers and supervisors in the progressive discipline system of the company. Monitors the implementation of a performance improvement process with non-performing employees.
11. Reviews, guides, and approves management recommendations for employment terminations.
12. Establishes the company wage and salary structure, pay policies, and oversees the variable pay systems within the company including bonuses and raises.
13. Monitors all pay practices and systems for effectiveness and cost containment.
14. With the assistance of the CEO, obtains cost-effective, employee serving benefits; monitors national benefits environment for options and cost savings.
15. Leads company compliance with all existing governmental and labor legal and government reporting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, worker compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and so forth. Maintains minimal company exposure to lawsuits.
16. Directs the preparation of information requested or required for compliance with laws. Approves all information submitted. Serves as the primary contact with the company employment law attorney and outside government agencies.
17. Designs and directs and manages a company-wide process of organizational development that addresses issues such as succession planning, superior workforce development, key employee retention, organization design, and change management.
18. Manages employee communication and feedback through such avenues as company meetings, suggestion programs, employee satisfaction surveys, newsletters, employee focus groups, one-on-one meetings, and Intranet use.
19. Keeps the CEO and the executive team informed of significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of company goals, and those that are not being addressed adequately at the line management level.
20. The Human Resources Director assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the CEO.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business, or Organizational Development.
• 3-5 years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources positions.
• Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations and ongoing community involvement preferred.
• Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, and training and development.
• Above average oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and develop Human Resources staff members.
• Demonstrated ability to serve as a successful participant on the executive management team that provides company leadership and direction.
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the company Board of Directors.
• Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Excel and skills in database management and record keeping.
• General knowledge of various employment laws and practices.
• Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other Human Resources programs.
• Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Must be able to drive own vehicle, valid insurance/Driver’s License and clear
driving record. Remain insurable during employment.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
● Live scan clearance.
● Due within the first 30 days of hire: CPR/AED, and First Aid; Child abuse prevention training
● Blood borne pathogens as required
● Valid driver’s license and car insurance
(Certifications need to remain current during employment.)
Must be able to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time. Ability to use hands and fingers to feel and manipulate, such as at a computer keyboard or phone. Must be able to talk, see and hear. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and carry small distances. Must be able to respond audibly and call for assistance in an emergency.
Must be able to work in a quiet as well as moderately noisy work environment. Must be able to cope and function within stressful circumstances. Must be able to work within deadlines. May be exposed to sun, wind, rain or other weather conditions. Must wear safety and protective equipment when needed. No other particular exposure to difficult environmental conditions known.
Along with your application, please provide a cover letter.
The San Luis Obispo County YMCA is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national origin, disability, sex, marital status, age, or any other protected status covered by federal or state law.